Sunday, July 24, 2011

We need to talk about Kevin

This is the story of Kevin. 

It started out so well. We exchanged just one or two emails. He promptly asked me out (I like it when they do that without requiring 100 emails first).  I was his first online date ever. He was a bit nervous. I had had dinner in town with friends and 3 glasses of wine prior to meeting him and so was definitely not nervous - in fact I was a bit light headed.   I was pleasantly surprised. He was very handsome. He dressed very well. He seemed nice. He had no visible signs of OCD. He told me he felt hugely relieved when he saw me and that I looked way better in real life.  This was looking good. We had drinks on a Thursday and arranged to meet up the next week for a proper Saturday night date.

And that's when something began to niggle about him. He had some strange dislikes - pretty benign things that really, really irritated him; dislikes he spent the whole night vocalising.  And I don't mean he didn't like sushi or acid jazz.  To give you just a flavour: he hated Galway, all (all!) stand up comedy,  how loud the band in the pub was (and insisted we move about two sips into my beer), mushrooms, where I lived, my choice of beer, all of his ex-girlfriends and football. Now, call me crazy or narrow minded but I'm not sure I trust men who don't like football.  Several hours into date 2, I didn't really know much about what he liked but I could talk for an hour about all the things he really hated.  Like U2.  Really - what self-respecting Irish person hates U2?  It's downright unpatriotic
.
Please can I give up now?  I'm beginning to feel very weary from it all.... 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm way better at web analytics than I am at dating! and I've only been doing analytics for 5 weeks. it is a great way to explain KBRs and KPIs
    Business Owner Dating

    ReplyDelete