Monday, June 6, 2011

Dusting myself off (again)

It's clearly time for a change in strategy - if only to keep myself enthused about the whole process.  So, I'm putting my POF account on the back burner for a while and re-joining Match.com.  And putting a photograph on my profile..

The "photo on profile" causes a lot of debate.  To date I have never posted a public photo. I say on my various profiles that I'm happy to share private photos but just don't want to post a public one.  And while I also include the fact that this is not because I'm hideous, famous or wanted for murder; it definitely puts some guys off engaging with you. And there is nothing as confidence shattering as building up a rapport with someone on email, getting excited by the sound of someone, getting hopeful about next steps, swapping photos... and never hearing from them again.

So why not post a photo?  The reason is that I just haven't been that brave - and I don't want to be in a work meeting wondering how many of the people around the table have seen me online desperately looking for love.  But, as by friend Liz said recently as she posted a photo to her own profile, what of it?  We are looking to meet someone and who cares who knows it?

So, taking a deep breath, I submitted a few (hopefully) witty lines, my credit card details and the best photo I could find to Match.com. And sat back and waited. And got a wink. And then another wink. And an email. (The email may have been from a 52 year old in France but it's still an email!).

So, I'm marginally excited about exploring the new possibilities on Match.com over the next while.  Will keep you posted.

Lucy.

PS: I've just been contacted (on POF) by "SpankMaster".  Now what do you think he was looking for??

1 comment: