Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Getting started....

Ok.  I'd said I would try this so I decided to have a little look.  Just a bit of research.  For science even.  Wasn't committing to anything....
A quick search on online dating in Dublin brought back a long list of websites. Everything from Naughty Dating to Older Dating; Lunchtime Dating to Thai Dating; Free Dating to Ultimate Dating, Rich Dating  to... you get the picture.  No shortage of dating sites then.  Who knew?  I'd heard of Match.com from a girl I used to work with who'd met her boyfriend there.  As far as I knew he hadn't ended up being criminally insane, wanted for fraud or looking for a visa to remain in Ireland so I figured I might as well start there. 

Now, a word of advice for any online dating virgins reading this.  Don't think you'll be in and dating quickly.  Just picking a user name alone must have taken 20 minutes.  Everything I could think of was already taken and naturally, as someone who works in sales and marketing, I was putting myself under serious pressure to hit just the right balance of nonchalantly intriguing with my username choice. (Seriously, I can't believe someone else was clever enough to think of Cute_Chocolate_Cornflake).

The next step is filling in all the profile questions.  And when I say all the questions, you have no idea.  They actually want to know how much money you made out of your First Holy Communion and the name of your mother's first pet.  It takes ages.  And the pressure to come across as (at an absolute minimum) exceptionally hot; clever but not in a threatening way; fun but not frivolous and witty but not silly. And low maintenance. And not desperate to be engaged within 3 month.  And not slutty or a prude. Or likely to stick pins in condoms.  Or as the owner of 27 cats.  Then there was my paranoia-induced answering questions in a way which protected my real identity.   For example, everyone I know knows what my favourite book is - so no way was I honestly answering that one. For the purposes of Match.com, Atonement it is.

Ok.  I was in and ready to start looking around.  Oh Jaysis, it's all so weird initially.  These are just a random selection of the thoughts that hit me over the first few minutes surfing an online dating site:
  • Cringe.  I can't believe I'm doing this.
  • Oh sweet Jesus, I know him!  I can't believe I know someone who's on an online dating site. (Oh hang on, technically I'm on an online dating site....)
  • I really don't think I'll put up a photo 
  • That's that IT guy from work.  No way am I putting up a photo.
  • Imagine these are all single men.  This is a bit like shopping for a boyfriend.
  • I really can't believe it's come to this...
  • What was that?!  A wink?  Omigod, what do I do?  What's the protocol?  Do I wink back?  He's 55 years old.  Pervert.  How do I block him?
  • Interesting.  If I just wanted to get married and procreate I could do so in the morning - and all in exchange for a visa.  Sorry Mohammad, I'm holding out for Mr. Right.
Bring it on.

1 comment: